Werewolves And Other Things That Scare Me  

Posted by Unknown in , , , , , , , , ,

Ever since I watched Urban Legend on TNT one summer day, I have been afraid of seeing things while driving. It started just being afraid of driving at night in the rain while listening to Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler after being stammered at by a guy with Chucky's (the murderous doll) voice. Turns out if all of those things happen to you there will be a guy in your back seat with an axe waiting to chop off your head at the perfect intersection between lightning flashes and the climax of the song.

So I took that song off my iPod. Easy solution, right? Well, then my friend John had to tell me what is perhaps the scariest story I have ever heard. One night he was driving alone down a windy Connecticut back-road at night. He saw something on the side of the road. It looked like a person hunched over. Upon closer inspection it looked more like a wolf-man hunched over on the side of the road. It was blacker than the night and looked very hairy. Then he got closer and it was just a trash bag. Unfortunately, both he and I have over-active imaginations and we forget about the last part and focus on how scary it would be to see a wolf-man on the side of the road in the middle of the night. So now I only drive with the lights off.

Another transportation based scare is the time I watched the Twilight Zone movie. Johnathan Lithgow (who was in one of my favorite shows of the time, Third Rock From The Sun) took the role of "Paranoid Plane Person Who Sees A Gremlin Tearing The Plane Apart" from William Shatner. This shot still scares me:

And then I watched the original, which scared me even more:
Good luck sleeping tonight!

This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at Wednesday, July 09, 2008 and is filed under , , , , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Nightmare At 20,000 Feet is one of the best episodes ever!
I also have been guilty of looking for weirdness to pounce into my life from the side of the road as I speed along at 70 MPH...

July 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM

I think the creepiest part of the John Lithgow version is when Lithgow breaks shoots through the window and sticks his head out. The gremlin wraps Lithgow's face with his slimy gremlin hand and wags his finger with the other one.

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b. Or however you spell the sound of scary.

July 17, 2008 at 7:36 PM

Post a Comment